Table of contents
- What's new in Acronis Snap Deploy 6 Update 1
- What's new in Acronis Snap Deploy 6
- Fixed issues
- Known issues
Acronis Snap Deploy 6 is a comprehensive deployment solution that enables IT organizations to deploy or restore laptops and desktops quickly and easily. With version 6, the product offers enhancements and addresses issues found in the previous release.
- Simultaneous deployment tasks
It is now possible to create and run multiple deployment tasks on a single OS Deploy Server in parallel, thus allowing to deploy different master images to different machines simultaneously.
You can also configure multicast addresses range used by OS Deploy Server to minimize networking conflicts, for example when you run 2 or more OS Deploy Servers in the same network.
- Deployment via “Task Name” option
This option solves the scenarios where you need to deploy multiple different master images to different target machines simultaneously and avoid situations where any machine gets a wrong master image.
With this option enabled in the deployment task, the machines will be deployed only if they have a value for the "Task name" parameter configured before connecting to the OS Deploy Server, and this value matches the deployment task name.
- Deployment from TIBX archives
Archives created by Acronis Cyber Protect Cloud and Acronis Cyber Protect 15 can now be used as master images for deployment.
- Windows 11 and Windows Server 2022 support
Windows 11 and Windows Server 2022 are now supported for both installation of Acronis Snap Deploy 6 components and for creation/deployment of the master images.
- Deployment over WiFi networks
It is now possible to configure automatic connection of Acronis Snap Deploy 6 bootable media to WiFi networks and perform multicast and unicast deployments. The WiFi configuration is defined when creating the bootable media via Media Builder or right in the bootable media UI.
The product can be installed as native 64-bit application, thus ensuring compatibility with Acronis Cyber Protect 15 and Acronis Cyber Backup 12.5: you can install components altogether on the same machine, including PXE server compatibility.
Windows activation after deployment
You can specify a unique Windows activation key to be used per each target machine for Windows activation after deployment. This key is defined as "individual machine" setting.
- Preserve original machine name after deployment
When performing Online Deployment, the guest OS machine name can now be optionally inherited from the OS rather than taken from the master image
Correct licenses assignment when deploying to machines connected via docking station
The machines connected to a docking station share the same MAC address which caused licensing issues when tracking deployment usage, for example for tablets. Now this problem is gone with the new licensing algorithm which tracks machine BIOS ID in addition to MAC address for truly unique identification.
VLAN tags support in bootable media
The bootable media now inherits the VLAN settings from Windows where Media Builder was run to create this media. In addition, you can connect the bootable media manually to required VLAN via its native UI. Deployment from VHDX It is now possible to deploy from Microsoft latest virtual disks format VHDX in addition to previously supported VHD.
Several UX enhancements including ability to sort machines by IP/name in the management console.
Issues fixed in Acronis Snap Deploy 6 Update 1.1 build #3900
This section describes issues that have been fixed in comparison with Acronis Snap Deploy 6 build #3640
The list of security-related fixes added in this update is available at https://security-advisory.acronis.com/updates/UPD-2207-8713-b2f6
[ASD-4828] Sorting by "Machines" column doesn't work for deployment task details.
[ASD-4812] Deployment tasks are not properly shown in the Management Console if some of these tasks contain 500+ machines.
[ASD-4811] German locale: Linux-based bootable media with Master Image Creator component does not allow to switch to German keyboard layout.
[ASD-4810] Deployment tasks and/or templates cannot be created after update in rare cases (too many entries in the internal database).
[ASD-4809] Joining a machine to domain does not work if the target domain parameters were defined both in "Individual machine" settings and in the deployment template settings at the same time.
[ASD-4782] Deployment fails when using "Deploy to: The machines listed below" option.
[ASD-4781] Management Console crashes when selecting a master image captured from a Linux-based system which contains LVM volumes (image created by Acronis Cyber Protect 15/Acronis Cyber Protect Cloud), instead of showing proper error message.
[ASD-4640] Deployment fails if there are multiple folders from network shares selected in "Files to transfer" deployment option.
[ASD-4547] Japanese locale: master images are not shown when browsing for master image and using "Image (*.tib)" pattern.
[ASD-2599] Sorting by "Created" column doesn't work for deployment templates view.
Issues fixed in Acronis Snap Deploy 6 Update 1 build #3640
This section describes issues that have been fixed in comparison with Acronis Snap Deploy 6 build #3030.
The list of security-related fixes added in this update is available at https://security-advisory.acronis.com/updates/UPD-2203-85b4-f2ea.
- [ASD-4727] The OS Deploy Server address is not correctly set in deployment templates configured for User-initiated Deployment mode.
- [ASD-4676] Linux-based bootable media: Master image cannot be saved locally to a specific model of external SSD drive (BUFFALO SSD-PGM960U3-B). Error: "This is a local disk of the current machine".
- [ASD-4675] WinPE media: Master image creation fails with "The operation is not supported. Incorrect function." error if the target for master image is set to DVD media.
- [ASD-4673] When saving machine name in individual machine settings, the line feed code("\r\n") is not truncated automatically. This happens when the name is copied together with "CRLF" and pasted into the text field from another source (e.g Microsoft Excel document).
- [ASD-4651] Static IP settings are not applied to the deployed machines if Acronis Universal Deploy is enabled during deployment.
- [ASD-4648] Media Builder: If the WinPE media is created using Japanese, Korean, Chinese or other locale which supports 2-byte symbols, then the with default name of the ISO file is also localized which leads to 0 size of the created WinPE media (broken ISO file).
- [ASD-4647] "Files to transfer" deployment option does not correctly transfer all files to the deployed machine if there was a network folder specified for transfer.
- [ASD-4621] WinPE bootable media is broken and cannot start due to missing archive_mount_helper.dll file, if this media was created on a machine which had only "Management Console" and "Media Builder" installed without other components.
Issues fixed in Acronis Snap Deploy 6 build #3030
This section describes issues that have been fixed in comparison with Acronis Snap Deploy 6 build #2890.
- [ASD-4610] Writing master image to a DVD-R/DVD-RW fails when performed using Linux-based bootable media.
- [ASD-4595] Management Console crashes when editing a deployment task where target machines are added as a group.
- [ASD-4580] Error "E009C0002: Cannot deserialize the object due to its meta info inconsistency..." appears when managing deployment templates after upgrade from Acronis Snap Deploy 5 in rare cases.
- [ASD-4578] Error "AddWindowsError" appears in WinPE-based bootable media environment after closing CMD window.
- [ASD-4569] Management Console may crash when selecting a master image which contains volumes with corrupted file system during deployment template creation.
- [ASD-4559] The tree of available storage locations is empty when browsing path for OS drivers for Acronis Universal Restore during deployment template creation or editing.
Issues fixed in Acronis Snap Deploy 6 build #2890
This section describes issues that have been fixed in comparison with Acronis Snap Deploy 6 build #2780.
- [ASD-4556] Boot from PXE server does not work in some cases after direct upgrade from Acronis Snap Deploy 5 to 32-bit version of Acronis Snap Deploy 6.
- [ASD-4550] Deployment fails when "Online Deployment" → "Install agent" option is enabled in the deployment template.
- [ASD-4549] "OS Deploy Server" installation fails when user provides "Deployment" licenses during the installation.
- [ASD-4548] Windows Recovery partition attribute is set to "0000000000000000" after deployment.
- [ASD-4547] Deployment template wizard: TIB files are not shown when using "Image (*.tib)" file pattern in Japanese build.
- [ASD-4545] System reserved partition cannot be checked/unchecked during master image creator which may cause non-original partition layout to appear after deployment of GPT-based Windows 10 image.
- [ASD-4527] Acronis Snap Deploy 6 installer does not accept v6 Upgrade keys.
Issues fixed in Acronis Snap Deploy 6 build #2780
This section describes issues that have been fixed in comparison with Acronis Snap Deploy 5 Update 5.4.
- [ASD-4468] WinPE media does not allow to save master image to a DVD drive connected via USB.
- [ASD-4324] Duplicate Windows Boot Manager EFI entries appear with using WinPE bootable media for deployment in some cases.
- [ASD-4320] Some deployment settings do not appear available when choosing specific master image for deployment, even though OS is detected properly in this image.
- [ASD-4271] SUSE 42.2 deployed via WinPE bootable media may not boot correctly after deployment.
- [ASD-4257] Windows 10 recovery partition becomes hidden after deployment when master image is captured from systems with specific partitions layout (typically OEM systems from HP).
- [ASD-2898] Option to perform "Shut down" after deployment via Standalone Media does not work on some systems.
This section describes issues that are currently known and provides solutions to avoid the issues where possible.
- [Windows 10 specific] Acronis Snap Deploy 6 Management Agent can be remotely installed on a target machine running Windows 10 only when the built-in administrator credentials are specified or UAC is disabled on the machine.
- [ASD-4765] Management Console crashes when trying to edit a deployment template where VHD file is defined as master image
Solution: create a new deployment template
- The Acronis bootable media may incorrectly detect a machine’s hardware.
Solution: Use the WinPE-based bootable media instead.
The "Access is denied" message appears when trying to remotely install Acronis Snap Deploy 6 components if UAC on a target machine is enabled and the machine is not a member of Active Directory.
Solution: Disable UAC on the remote machine to be able to use remote installation or use a domain administrator account if the remote machine is in a domain.
- A machine’s security identifier (SID) does not change after deployment of Windows Small Business Server 2011.
If you start the Master Image Creator wizard and then connect or disconnect one of the USB drives, there will be multiple errors related to all drives, such as "Failed to read from the sector 0 of the hard disk 1. Sector was skipped."
Solution: Do not plug or unplug any USB drives while a master image is being created.
The Applications to run setting does not work after deployment of Windows 7 or Windows 2008.
Solution: To run an application or a script automatically under the operating system, use the Files to transfer setting to copy the file, the script, or the link to the script to the Startup folder of the target machine, such as the folder C:\Users\USER1\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.
- Deployment fails and the "Host 'X.X.X.X' has failed the deployment" error appears if the Jumbo Packet property of the network adapter is enabled on OS Deploy Server.
- Booting Hyper-V 3.0 virtual machines from Acronis PXE Server is very slow.
- The "Deployment has failed" error appears after successful deployment from an external network via a VPN connection.
- It is impossible to update or reinstall Windows Store applications after deployment if the "Generate a unique SID for each deployed machine" check box was selected in the deployment template.
- The "Use PXE server for booting into agent" check box does not work if the "Start operating system" option was selected under "When booting from the media, automatically start" when uploading Acronis Snap Deploy 6 Agent to Acronis PXE Server.